The Beauty of Low Self-Esteem
Ronnie Martin at The Gospel Coalition offers a scathing rebuke to our self-love in The Beauty of Low Self-Esteem.
Here are a few of the powerful quotes.
• None of us has a problem with low self-esteem. Scripture tells us we were born with the opposite issue. We all think of ourselves as a little more pretty, a little more talented, a little more worthy, and a little more deserving of just about everything in this life.
• Far from having naturally broken hearts, our hearts are naturally bloated with the calories of self-consumption and filled with obscene levels of self-obsession. We’ve been taught that there’s nothing more valuable than how much we value ourselves.
• The frightening thing about self esteem is the staggering lengths God goes to completely eradicate it from the depths of our souls, in order to produce depth in our souls.
• If the Lord loves a humble and contrite heart, it means that he equally abhors a prideful and defiant one.
• God takes sometimes horrific, drastic measures to destroy our self-esteem.
• The call to brokenness is a call to openness.
• Brokenness is the gentrification of our hearts.
• The beauty of low self-esteem is that we finally have the hearts to highly esteem God.
Read the entire convicting article here.