“Big Shots” Who Act Like “Little Shots”
We all understand that in Christ we are all equal. We all can agree with the statement, “The ground is level at the foot of the cross.”
That said, even in Christian circles (what is a Christian circle?), some people rise to high levels of influence, popularity, and/or notoriety.
I’ve found that I have great respect for the “big shot” who still sees himself (or herself) as a “little shot.”
Put another way, I have a hard time with the “big shot” who insists on acting the part.
Before I continue, let me assure you that I have no one particular person in mind.
Let me assure you that I have not had a recent negative experience with any “big shot.”
In fact, the opposite is true. I’ve had several interactions with “big shots” who are so “down to earth.” Unlike some “big shots,” these humble leaders:
• Ask about me/ask about others, rather than acting as if the universe revolves around them.
• Sacrifice their time for others, rather than acting as if somehow their minutes are more valuable than the minutes God gives to everyone else.
• Humbly ask for another person’s opinion, perspective, and wisdom, rather than acting as if the only viewpoint that matters is their own.
• Graciously acknowledge weaknesses and confess sins, rather than thinking they are always in the right and must always play the part of the strong one.
• Are able to follow, rather than assuming that in every situation they must rise to the top and take the mantle of leadership.
• Don’t need to be the “alpha dog,” rather they can allow others to shine and use their gifts—in fact, they encourage others to do so and gladly recede into the shadow.
Yep, I respect “big shots” who understand that they are servants of Christ and of others.
“Whoever would be great among you must be your servant” (Matthew 20:26).
Join the Conversations
What are additional behaviors and attitudes of “big shots” who act like “little shots;” of people in positions of leadership and influence who are humble servants?
RPM Ministries: Equipping You to Change Lives with Christ’s Changeless Truth